Friday, April 13, 2012

Pre-race nerves?!

So... in two days time, I'll be attempting to run the Canberra marathon. That's 42.195km... 26.22miles... whichever way you look at it, it's a long way to run.
It has been 7 months since I completed the Blackmores marathon with Nella in a time of 4 hours and 19 minutes. That seems like a lifetime ago now! To be honest, I am not completely sure how I am feeling leading up to this race. After my first effort, I felt so enthusiastic and determined to run a second marathon... almost like it was the start of my marathon "career"! But over the past few months, that determination has seemed to diminish and I have found myself asking "why?"
The toll that those long hard runs take on your body and the mornings after when I wake up as "cranky mum" makes it difficult to justify making the effort... at the same time, I feel so free when I run, it feels so natural and I always return from a run on a high. Like that saying goes... running is my "ctrl alt delete"! I truly believe that. The thing is, the difference between running distances up to a half marathon to running a full marathon is huge. Its the extra mileage, the extra time, the extra preparation, the extra recovery... the extra pain. In saying that, running a marathon is a real commitment and needs to be put high on the priority list. I guess what I have realised is that to maintain balance in my life - between time with my boys, building a new house, work and scrapbooking, I need to choose my races. I have two marathons planned for this year which I am very excited about.... but I think after that I will be taking a break from that distance to give myself time to concentrate on other priorities. That does not mean I am giving up running!!!
With all this going through my mind, it was quite difficult to maintain the motivation required for marathon training but I am confident that my love for running will get me through it. I am going into this race prepared for the pain but also to just enjoy the run.
If you don't already know, I am raising money for the McGrath Foundation again with a more modest target of $500 this time. I have already raised $420. If you'd like to donate, it is easy! Just click on this link:
Two sleeps to go... all the hard training is done! Just carbo loading, keeping hydrated and resting before the big day :) Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Make that a bit closer after my donation! So proud of you, but happy that you may take it a bit easier on yourself after this in the midst of this crazy busy life we live with our boys & babies. Love you, depend on you, need you every day....I know that you'll SMASH this run on Sunday and make all of us proud!!!! Mwah!!!!

    ReplyDelete